Saturday, August 25, 2007

MAK (Museum Fur Angewandte Kunst)+2nd Tram exercise


This museum was very scattered I felt, it was not as organized as the Leopold Museum for example. The first exhibit I saw was very modern art, some very thought provoking short films and some that left much to be desired. The exhibit where pieces of yarn that were just pinned once at two point in a room seemed to lack some bare bones definitions of art to me.
Moving on we saw some very interesting furniture depicting different time periods. This was particularly moving for me because these numerous chairs were something that would be used in daily life for people. Each room was divided in time periods and it seeded very tangible as the the changes and the goals within each room. The Biedermeier was very quickly shown to be as it had been described in the texts we have read and had seen the paintings in the Belvedere in the upper levels.
One desk in particular stood out to me as its clean lines and beauty shone across the room in a simple form that welcomed a woman to sit and write at it. The description card explained that there were built in vases for flowers and this seemed to fit the time period perfectly as it would add to the comfy beauty in the room. The changing fashions in furniture was illuminated in this one museum much better than seeing paintings of chairs and reading about the household style could have ever done. Seeing the clear progression from one type of chair to another was very revealing to the tastes of the time period.
I especially liked this one hallway within the exhibit that had all the chairs behind a screen and then they shone light so that all we could see was the silhouette of the chair. The different Arte Nuevo lines were so great and I could see these being a hit at the cafe museum.
Later in the day I did the tram exercise where I rode it around the Ring Strasse twice. Noticing the parliament building and the other large markers was so telling of the importance of the Ring Strasse itself. This has been one thing that endeared this city to me. The attempts to modernize and organize being so visible. I hopped on and off a few times to get ice cream and peak into a book shop. The different parts of the ring are spaced differently and this was a truly nice view. I'm glad I did this.

No comments: