Sunday, August 5, 2007

Tiergarten Schonbrunn + Kunsthistorisches Museum



Today we went to the zoo. It was in a direction on the underground subway that I had not gone in yet and this was exciting. Walking around the zoo was such a treat. The logical way it was organized (in the shape of a bicycle wheel with roads like the spokes in a circle) was very easy to navigate. The gardens were carefully maintained and I was absolutely impressed, as I'm sure the goal was. There were families everywhere and it seemed very regal. With the imperial breakfast place and such beautiful gardens everywhere i truly felt special. After the zoo I got a delicious kabob where I talked to the guy for a while. He was very happy I was from California and wanted to make sure I knew that Arnold was from Austria. It's funny how the Austrians are so proud of him. I had tried to speak to him in German but he just laughed and spoke perfect English.
Later in the museum quarter strolling was quite calming and fun. I wish we had more parks that could even compare in America. Going to the Kunsthistorisches Museum was impressive we only had time to check out the Greek and Roman room while we were there and i am looking forward to going back. After walking through the Greek and Roman rooms I was fully aware of all the jewelry that they would wear. I had never pictured these men being so interested in gold but I guess it would show rank and power in their culture. I was especially interested in the many rings on display. Each one had a symbol, usually an animal that held what I assume were characteristics they wanted to show they had. I really felt like the museum guard were looking down on us for some reason and following me uncomfortably closely.

No comments: