Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Arriving in Vienna


Entry for August 1, 2007

The lady that stamped my passport seemed angry that I was American. I feel paralyzed not knowing the language. When I bought water and a snack the cashier seemed to think I spoke German and I couldn’t even thank her. I am going to learn German so when I come back I will be able to talk to people.
After the incredibly long plane ride I emerged from the airport and happened to run into someone heading for the same program as me. It was comforting to have someone to navigate the underground train system with. I felt good about being able to make it this far, but it was nice to see someone that I knew spoke English and I could travel with.
My first impression of the airport was that it seemed so much cleaner and more empty than the one I remember in Madrid on my last trip out of the country. Everything worked out as my bag was ready for me on the conveyor belt and the ticket machine for the tram from the airport to the underground train was clearly labeled and had an option for translation in English. American airports are so much more confusing and cluttered while this Austrian one was much more streamlined and logical.
While walking through the extensive tunnels to our train transfer the advertisements were dissimilar to the ones in America. The product being sold was very present and the models did not seem airbrushed or made up too much. I could have been in one advertisement and it wouldn’t have seemed strange at all. Finally finding Simmering and our apartment was rewarding and they were nicer than I ever could have hoped. My first impression of this street we live on was that there wasn’t much different than the streets in America. I am excited for this program to begin and to see all the wonderful things I know I’ll see.

No comments: