Thursday, August 9, 2007

united nations tour



The tour for the united nations was impressive. I found the speech interesting and informative. The small budget they work with is astounding. Passing through such intense security was such a foreign feeling for me that it seemed strange to think some people go through this everyday. I am still a little unclear as to how decisions ever get passed with any effectiveness there but as the lady said it is very important that the world is communicating and actually in a productive duologue. One point that has really stuck with me is that the actions of countries has to be seen in relationship to their culture, this seems obvious but for example Japan's failor to mention for ten years that an earthquake had destroyed a nuclear power plant can be traced to their belief in privacy and not questioning superiors.
I think the German word of the day is 'der abend' meaning evening. My emails have not been working so well.

No comments: