Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Jewish Museum

I was rather disappointed with this museum, but at the same time it made me painfully aware of the history and lives that were stolen from the Jewish people. What I was most impressed with in this museum was how there was so much stuff just shoved in a corner. There were many donations of ritual equipment and they were poorly labeled and piled on top of each other. This really gave a feeling of a warehouse that was just holding these objects until their owners came back. I got to thinking about all the people's stuff that was taken from them during the holocaust and how it was just piled and thrown aside to gather dirt.

Upstairs there was a section dealing with what it meant to be a Jewish woman and I really felt that this exhibit was one of anger. It seemed that the women shown were unhappy and trying to reclaim a part of themselves that had not only been taken from them from the war, but also by the men in their own communities. It reminded me of a book I read in another history class called "The Memoirs of Gluckel Hamel". She was a rare woman as her husband made it so she could run the family business in a time when a woman was never in a position of power. I think that there must be serious issues within some Jewish communities where women don't feel appreciated or respected.



On a happier note we went to breakfast today at the Naschmarkt and once again enjoyed the bustling crowd and lively people watching. I have become much more comfortable reading a menu and ordering. I think this new confidence stems from the familiarity of Vienna at this point for me.

No comments: