Thursday, August 30, 2007

Kunsthistorches Museum again







Returning to this part of Wien makes me so happy, I love museums and feel so lucky to go to so many. I made my way directly to the painting section inside and was truly impressed. I was facing art from time periods that I emphasize on in my major. I could actually see through the paintings the reaction from the catholics to the protestant reformation. All the ornate and elaborate pictures sought to show the power of god and the stories that went along with their beliefs. On the other side the protestant pictures that I was able to pick out were portraits of people and landscapes that showed no image of god. This discovery reminded me of classes I have taken where we learned about how the protestants took everything out of the churches and painted them white. The stark difference between a catholic church of this time period with its ornate gold and saints statues versus the protestant empty churches really shone through in these paintings.

No comments: